I'll let you in a really great thing....

I have spent more than I year living in a lie. Why? Because I desided it was too much inofrmation to tell you. Maybe it would be too shocking. You would worry to much. Well you know what, get over it!

I am about to tell you about one of the most amazing parts of Israeli society. One of the things that I love doing the most and that I have had the most fun doing. A thing that has helped me learn Hebrew. And learn life in Israel.

I HITCH-HIKE.

There I said it.

And unlike in America, hitch-hiking is a legal and common practice here. And it is so much fun. So much.

Some rules of hitch-hiking:

1. Its not called hitch-hiking here its called: tramping, taking a tramp and if you are a hitch-hiker then you are called a trampist.

2. Don't think that you can tell anything from the people that pick you up. Like "oh that guy looks Arab so I won't take a ride from him."

Example: One night i was coming back to En HaShofet from Ma-Agan Michael with Noa and Jessica. We were on a junction with an ISrael-Arab village trying to get a ride and a guy stopped. Jess was like, no he is Arab I could hear the music. I said I don't care but we all have to be comfortable. The guy just say there. Then he started to back up. So Noa said lets just ask. He was going almost the whole way to the kibbutz so we got in. The air was think with uncomfortable-ness. He had the music going and was drining pretty fast. No one talked. Then when he got to where we were to get off, he kept going towards the kibbutz. And he said, "its just a few more kilometers to your kibbutz so I will take you. After all it is dangerous for you to be out waiting for a ride at night."

Example: I got a ride two weeks ago from Meggido Junction when I wasn't even trying. I was waiting for the bus and a guy stopped. He looked so Arabic when I asked him where he was going he said get in. We were driving along and he asked me something and I didn't understand so I told him talka bit slower because I don't know Hebrew so good. "Oh do you speak Russian?" He was Russian.

Tramping really makes you stop having these huge ideas that you can tell what a person is like just by looking at them, or by what car they drive. And yes it is a gamble. But so is eating. Maybe you will choke on a piece of meat and die.

3.Always try to talk with the people.

You never know who you will meet, what they will say, what you will say to them to not only effect your day, but theirs too.Once i got a ride from a guy whose girlfriend was just going to be moving from the US to be with him and he was really nervous and was so excited to here how much I love Israel. When I got out of the car he said, "I am so happy to have meet you because you put me at more ease about her coming."

4. When tramping expect to get things:
I have had people give/offer me candy, soda, cigarettes, water, food. Phone numbers. Everything. They like to leave you with a memory of them.

5. Don't expect to have a bad experience because they are really few and far between. Most people arr true and nice people that only want to help you.

6. Always lie and say you have a boyfriend, it will save you from a lot of annoying questions. Unless of course you get a ride from a hot local kibbutznik who is going to the mountains to ride his bike. Then hit yourself for not giving him your number when he asks if you have a boyfriend.

7. It is illegal to hitch-hike as a soldier in uniform: so do it anyway. As a friend said, people love to pick up soldiers, it is even easier to do. And it is true. I got picked up last night on my way back to En Harod and it was a full car, kid, dog and couple. And the driver asked me you need ot stop in the gas station to get anything before Shabbat begins? Nice!

8. It is your safest bet no to go with truckers alone. This can be a bit dangerous. Eventhough I have done it and I am fine.


OK, and its not like I tramp everywhere. I do take buses. But there are a lot of places that buses don't go. And its not like I went form never doing it to doing it. Slowly slowly I started. Like first I just did it into the kibbutz on the kibbutz road. Then with friends. Then I started alone. Now it is fine. And it is the best time to practice my Hebrew. I used to make up stories of where I was from or what I was doing, or how long I had been in the country just to practice saying things in different ways!